The State of New Hampshire has created a fund to compensate former residents of YDC and similar facilities who were sexually or physically abused by or because of a staff member of the facility. Victims of sexual abuse may receive up to $1,500,000. Victims of physical abuse may receive up to $150,000.
The covered facilities are:
- New Hampshire’s Youth Development Center (a/k/a the Sununu Youth Services Center)
- The State Industrial School
- The Philbrook School
- The Tobey Special Education School
- The Youth Services Center
- And any other facility that housed adjudicated delinquent or pre-adjudication detained youth.
Claims can be filed beginning January 1, 2023. All claims must be postmarked or received no later than midnight on December 31, 2024. Former residents are not required to use the claims process and may choose to file a claim in a judicial or other forum.
If you have questions or would like to submit a claim, you can get more information and find the forms you need on the Administrator’s website, or by contacting the Administrator’s office:
John T. Broderick, Jr., Administrator
NH YDC Claims Office
PO Box 1930, Concord, NH 03302-1930
Fax: 603-798-3420 Telephone: 603-415-2136
The Administrator’s office can also assist in preparing claims or can refer you to volunteers who are willing to help.